martes, 13 de mayo de 2008

no internet!

So since Saturday night when I came back from Santiago after being there for two days, I have no internet. I am still in the process of diagnosing this problem. I don´t know if it´s the internet in the house that is failing or if it´s my computer that is simply refusing to cooperate, but that is my current situation. I am in the PIIE office on the computers here that will close in about an hour or so. I got to enter from a super secret entrance only for us extranjeros it appears.

So a little bit of an update... this paro is STILL continuing. Not only that, the students have now completely taken over the seven (i think) buildings they have placed all over Valparaíso and Viña. Casa Central is a big deal though because it is from there that all the adminstration operates. I took some cool pictures and I´ll put them up once my computer gets internet.

So we went to Santiago Friday on an excursion that was really really interesting and a bit overwhelming sometimes. We learned more about the dictadorship of Pinochet and about the thousands and thousands of desparecidos (missing persons) during his rule. The most intense part of the day had to have been the Villa Grimaldi, where we learned about the torture these people who were arrested when Pinochet came into power went through, and met a man who was in prison for three years... Really, it was all overwhelming. And I´m sure I´m doing a sucky job of portraying it to anyone who reads but I feel like anything I say to describe what I learned is lacking.

I did spend my Saturday with Mary Elizabeth from Alabama, and that was really fun. We wandered Santiago a bit, ate at the Mercado Central, which is an experience in itself, and shopped for El Día de Mamá.

Buenooo.... I have a lot of work to do tonight. Chau.

No hay comentarios: